Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Je suis Paris vive La Creation

The wonderful and talented Paris-based illustrator Jion Sheibani (that's her beautiful dove of peace) has created a facebook page, welcoming her fellow creatives to express their feelings about last weekend's atrocities in Paris through in whatever way they wished. So far, some beautiful illustrations and touching reminiscences have been posted.

I've been thinking about what I could add, Thoughts, wishes, grief: they've been expressed so eloquently by others, and the hopefulness of most of the people I know (either in real life or online) has been inspiring and humbling.


But here are a few (of many) memories of Paris that I'd like to share at this time, and in this forum...


I spent the days before and after the publication of my first book At Yellow Lake, in Paris. I wasn't working that Thursday in June, 2012, and I knew Paris was the perfect city to wake up and think, "I'm a published writer now."


So, we tromped the streets, and I shoved a copy of At Yellow Lake into the hands of startled-but-willing photo-op "readers".  I explained what was going on and, of course, Paris "got it". It was a fantastic day...










More recently, I had the chance to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in over 30 years. Jayne and I had known each other when I was at university near Seattle. We reconnected on facebook, and a few autumns ago, were reunited when she and her husband John were staying in Paris.

I spent the days writing in the jaw-droppingly gorgeous Biblioteque Mazarine...




And the evenings out with John and Jayne. The years rolled back within seconds of our meeting and we drank wine at La Tambour on Rue Monmartre...


and listened to John play an amazing set of his songs at a cabaret bar on Blvd Montparnasse...



and then, um, returned to La Tambour for more wine...



As one does, in Paris, because that's what it Paris is all about: music, wine, friendship and love.

Till next time, beautiful city!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment